Despite its reputation for reliability, even a Bosch dishwasher can be prone to the same starting issues as other brands. Why won’t my Bosch dishwasher turn on? The wrong cycle setting can prevent an immediate start. Troubleshoot the most likely reasons your Bosch dishwasher won’t start to restore its superior function.
What To Do When Your Bosch Dishwasher Won’t Start
While broken parts are a possibility, there’s usually a simple fix when your Bosch dishwasher won’t start. Whether it’s a power issue or a failed door latch, here’s how to solve the problem.
Check Power Source
When your Bosch dishwasher won’t start the first step is to check its power source. Without electricity, the dishwasher won’t turn on or start a wash cycle.
Here’s how to check your dishwasher’s power sources:
- Inspect the power cord: Make sure the cord is properly plugged into a working outlet. Refrain from using extension cords that can’t sufficiently transmit the power required. This can lead to surges that cut off power.
- Make sure the power switch is on: Most dishwashers are connected to a kitchen switch that must be on for it to receive power. Check the switch to make sure it’s in the on position, keeping in mind that it may be under the kitchen sink.
- Check for tripped breakers: Look in your home’s circuit breaker box and reset any tripped breakers, if necessary.
Check Bosch Dishwasher Cycle Settings
If your dishwasher is receiving power, next check the cycle settings on the control panel. The Bosch dishwasher Child Lock and Delayed Start settings lock the control panel or delay the start of a wash cycle. Make sure these settings are disabled so the dishwasher can start on command. Error codes on the control panel can also prevent an immediate start. If an error code is present, consult your Bosch dishwasher manual to determine the code’s meaning and solution.
Lastly, your dishwasher won’t start if a cycle isn’t selected. Wondering how to start a Bosch dishwasher correctly? Always select a wash cycle on the control panel before pressing the Start button. Try to keep the control panel as dry as possible, as excessive moisture can damage its components. A damaged or unresponsive control panel must be professionally replaced.
Ensure the Dishwasher Door is Latched Closed
A Bosch dishwasher won’t start until the door is completely closed and latched. Once the latch is engaged, it signals the door switch and control board to initiate the start of a wash cycle. Always close the door firmly to engage the latch and correctly load a Bosch dishwasher so overhanging items don’t prevent proper closure.
If the door still won’t close after the dishwasher is properly loaded and the door is closed, the latch may be broken. If it shows visible damage or has no continuity with multimeter testing, it should be replaced.
Inadequate Water Supply to Bosch Dishwasher
In addition to consistent power, the dishwasher also requires a sufficient water supply to begin a wash cycle. If your dishwasher has power but you don’t hear it fill with water, there may be a problem with its water supply.
Use these tips to check the dishwasher’s water supply:
- Check the water valve: Make sure it’s turned on and its connections to the dishwasher are secure.
- Inspect the water hose: Look for kinks that interrupt water flow, gently straightening the hose if necessary.
- Assess the water inlet valve: This valve is located on the dishwasher’s water hose, opening and closing to allow water from your home supply to enter the dishwasher. If the valve is broken it may not open properly, preventing water from flowing into the tub. A broken water inlet valve must be professionally replaced.
Broken Bosch Dishwasher Parts
Is your Bosch dishwasher not starting even after the above assessments? It’s possible a broken part is at fault. A malfunctioning door switch won’t signal the control board to start a cycle after the latch engages. Similarly, a failed control board won’t process any incoming commands or send voltage to the right functions. In addition, a faulty thermal fuse will cut off power to the dishwasher, preventing any function until it’s replaced.
A qualified Bosch repair technician should assess all of these issues and perform the right part replacement.
RD Appliance Service, Corp can help when your dishwasher won’t start. Our Bosch Factory Authorized Service Providers can perform any repair!